Monday, September 22, 2014

Here comes OCRtober!

The summer is a sad time because there aren't very many OCR's out there unless you head north.  Now that September is here, I've been able to get back into my natural habitat and run a couple races.   But that is just a sneak preview for the main event, OCR-TOBER!  I am thrilled and a little nervous about October, because it is going to be the most challenging stretch that I've ever faced since starting my OCR life.

It all starts October 4th with Mud Endeavor V in Brooksville.  I've run this venue before and love the layout.  You can see most of the course so the excitement level is that much higher.  Plus, there's a fun factor because there are a couple water slides!  Originally, this date was supposed to be reserved for OCR 100, a mythical race with 100 obstacles.  But, apparently, the first obstacle was existing, and they did not pass it.

The second week of OCRtober brings me to Monster Challenges.  They've got a great race and greater medals!  I've done this race twice and it's loads of fun, with snow, a slide, and a zip line at the end.  But I need to exorcise a couple demons in this race.  I got my foot stuck in an obstacle last time, which was pretty embarrassing, so I can't let that happen again.  Also, they have a large quarter pipe ramp known as the Curved Creature.  There are different heights to this beast for you to climb and I have yet to make it up the highest height.  I WILL this time!

It is at this point in the month where the fun turns into fear.  On October 18th,  I'll be doing Tactical Titan.  I just ran the last Mud Titan a couple weeks ago, and boy did they step up their upper body obstacles.  My hands and forearms were worthless after that race, and I'm afraid it will be kicked up a notch for this one.  No mud, just obstacles.  I hope they have people watching over each one.  If you fail an obstacle in a normal race, you usually fall into mud or water and have to climb out, which does slow you down.  I really hope it's not just grass where people will basically just hop off an obstacle and start running while us non-cheaters try to finish each one...

The grand finale in OCRtober takes me on a trip to South Carolina for the Spartan Beast, a 13 mile race in the mountains.  This will be my third Spartan Race.  I finished the Sprint in Tampa and the Super in Miami.  This one will give me my trifecta!  I am extremely excited and worried about this race.  For one, I live in Florida, where speed bumps are the only hills we have.  Also, I heard last year this race started at about 30 degrees.  Oh by the way, it will be the longest race I have ever done, so this will be a humongous challenge.  But hey, I don't do these races because they are easy.

I love OCR because they let you know what your made of.  I should learn a lot about myself in October.  I say I'm scared or worried about some of these races, but that is what makes it exciting for me.  What doesn't challenge us doesn't change us.  Bring it on!






No comments:

Post a Comment